Sunday, August 16, 2009

Why I Became a Midwife - Diane

After the birth of my second daughter, which was attended by a nurse-midwife, I had my “Ah ha!” moment. I love babies and am fascinated by the miracle of pregnancy and childbirth. Although I also marveled at every aspect of my first pregnancy (attended by an obstetrician), I was incredibly impressed by the care, sincere warmth and time I received from my midwives. Since then, and during the birth of my third and fourth children, I have become passionate about obstetrics and dedicated to pursuing a career in this field.

While raising four children and working, I left my job as an office manager and returned to school. I went to a community college where I received an Associate of Science degree in nursing. I worked as a Labor & Delivery nurse while earning a Bachelor’s degree from Northern Illinois University and finally a Master’s of Science in Nurse-Midwifery at University of Illinois at Chicago. As a life-long resident of Illinois who was dying to get away from the cold winters, I luckily found a position at Bethany Womens Healthcare in Phoenix. Along with my husband and four children, we packed up and moved across the country.

I feel very lucky to have found a position in a practice with other midwives who share my passion. I hope to educate women about their own health and about the natural event of childbirth, to be a guide and counselor through one of life’s most dynamic passages. I hope to make a difference in women’s lives, the way my midwives made a difference in mine.

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment