Monday, March 1, 2010

Gretchen's Story - Her Perspective

Focus, breath, focus, breath, is all I could think to myself on the long bumpy car ride to Phoenix Baptist. Coming from Goodyear it seemed as though I would never make it. Arriving at the hospital at 12:00 p.m., still focusing and still breathing, my contractions were only getting worse. Speaking to anyone would break my concentration of relaxed breathing.

Triage was the first step to seeing my baby boy! Dilation check at 4cm kept me thinking, only 6cm to go! This being my third time to the hospital only made me more anxious because they were actually going to keep me.

Being asked over and over again by the triage nurse, “Would you like an epidural for the pain,” really made me want one. The suggestion from my midwife (Tiffany) to sit in the tub was the best advice I have ever taken. While sitting in the tub I was able to use mental imagery to clear my mind of the contractions that were taking place. After sitting in warm water for about 40 minutes, I was ready to move to my bed. With each contraction getting stronger and closer I kept increasing my water intake, since I chose not to have any IVs; I wanted to make sure I was hydrated for the hard work that lie ahead. Still breathing calmly I wanted a gentle lower back rub. While my husband and Tiffany took turns, I continued to stay as comfortable as possible.

“I need to push!”, I kept telling Tiffany, this led to my final dilation check. At a 9 with bag still intact was a bummer. As the dilation check approached its end my bag broke! It was officially time for me to push! Whew, was I already sweating the first minute into pushing. I knew the hardest part was yet to come, this was just the beginning. Lying on my side was starting to become uncomfortable. It was time to move to my back…….this wasn’t working….back to the side. With my husband holding my leg, Tiffany coaching, and me concentrating and pushing, he finally crowned. A few more hard exhausting pushes and his head was out. The burning was intense but as I kept calm I knew it would be over soon. After feeling like I was going to turn inside-out and a couple more strong pushes, my baby was here!

Bradyn, weighing in at 7lbs 12oz, born at 6:06p.m was a Bradley baby! My labor/delivery could not have gone any better. Everything was perfect! I never imagined that it could be such an amazing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment